SNAIL Forum Index SNAIL
☠ Vintage School 2CV
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Daily Driver
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SNAIL Forum Index -> Your ride
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JoZeF
Grave Digger


Joined: 25 May 2007
Posts: 1734

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"it's looking cool keep up the good work"

Laughing Laughing

No, seriously... Shocked Shocked

Don't you want to use "race" springs ?
_________________
"That bumper fits there like sunglasses on pig" Laughing O.E.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
björn
Lowered


Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Posts: 1695
Location: hillywood(hilversum)/holland

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what did you do Shocked
go ofroadin
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Rusty
Dropped


Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Posts: 141
Location: Voorschoten Netherlands

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey

Acadiane/ Ami springs are stiffer, but still not stiff enough for wat you want, also you'd have to change your floorpanels (bigger diameter) see cats site what springs are the stiffest.

somewhere I read someone who had an adress in the netherlands for stiffer springs. (was it Björn??) and tohse weren't too expensive either.

with shocks this stiff the mechenical impact is to big (you've experienced it) as sayd before, stiffer springs, less stiff shocks!

greetzzzzzzzzzz

Rusty
_________________
2CV6 1983 in bits and pieces
2CV Pick-Up custom
body AK400
chassis AK400 and AMI8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Etienne
Hoodrider


Joined: 25 May 2007
Posts: 2829

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damned ! Shocked

The Acadiane and Ami springs are maybe stiffer but also longer...
_________________
www.super2cv.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jacobus_XIII
Snailer


Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Posts: 44

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etienne wrote:
The Acadiane and Ami springs are maybe stiffer but also longer...


I don't think the springs-length is a problem, because Stefan's 2cv is very low (the lower the chassis the more a spring is pressed in).

Aca rear springs are the most stiffest a-type springs. If you don't want to buy custom springs, use two rear springs each side!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stefan
Dropped


Joined: 25 Aug 2007
Posts: 257
Location: holland

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speed bumps are killing.... haha

2 rear springs are too long. 2 front spring would fit. but i first want to know how much stiffer they are.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JoZeF
Grave Digger


Joined: 25 May 2007
Posts: 1734

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it the case of shortening the spring makes it "harder"... it would also obviously solve any length issues.

I think Geoff Archer or Pete Sparrow would know original spring rates. Wink
_________________
"That bumper fits there like sunglasses on pig" Laughing O.E.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jacobus_XIII
Snailer


Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Posts: 44

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefan wrote:
2 rear springs are too long.


Also when they are under weight? Mmmm... lifting up your car could cause problems then... Confused
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Etienne
Hoodrider


Joined: 25 May 2007
Posts: 2829

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobus_XIII wrote:


I don't think the springs-length is a problem, because Stefan's 2cv is very low (the lower the chassis the more a spring is pressed in).

Aca rear springs are the most stiffest a-type springs. If you don't want to buy custom springs, use two rear springs each side!


Yes it is a problem. The behavior of the car is really different with short spring cause they get quicker stiffer on the bumps than the long ones.

And on a 2 CV the springs are not more pressed in when the car is low (I mean when it's lowered, not when it's loaded of course) !
_________________
www.super2cv.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jacobus_XIII
Snailer


Joined: 01 Jul 2007
Posts: 44

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etienne wrote:
Jacobus_XIII wrote:


I don't think the springs-length is a problem, because Stefan's 2cv is very low (the lower the chassis the more a spring is pressed in).

Aca rear springs are the most stiffest a-type springs. If you don't want to buy custom springs, use two rear springs each side!


Yes it is a problem. The behavior of the car is really different with short spring cause they get quicker stiffer on the bumps than the long ones.

And on a 2 CV the springs are not more pressed in when the car is low (I mean when it's lowered, not when it's loaded of course) !


Oops, my mistake... Embarassed
The springs are indeed only pressed in by load and not by adjust te spring-rods.

Maybe working and posting isn't a good match Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wout
Dropped


Joined: 16 Sep 2008
Posts: 368
Location: Arendonk, Belgium

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoZeF wrote:
Isn't it the case of shortening the spring makes it "harder"... it would also obviously solve any length issues.


Some good advise: Never shorten the springs!
What makes a spring "harder"? Thats the thicknes of the "spiraal" and sort of material.
Some crazy people have shortened their springs to get their car lower, but afther that, they can't handle their car any more.
Every spring is stiffer at the begin and at the end compared to the middle.
When you shorten it by cutting, you'll lose the strongness of the spring.
And while working, the spring wouldn't center it self any more and will f*ck up the rest.

Greetings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dieselflosse
Snailer


Joined: 20 Nov 2007
Posts: 72
Location: Finland

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zupha wrote:

When you shorten it by cutting, you'll lose the strongness of the spring.
And while working, the spring wouldn't center it self any more and will f*ck up the rest.
Greetings


Is this some 2cv specific thing or universal? The cutting of springs was very used trick old days before tuning springs game to the market... But, I haven't heard that used in 2cv... I can't se any reason why it doesn't work similar way in 2cv than the other cars.

Of cause it might spoil the driving...
_________________
Regards
Tero
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bart
Lowered


Joined: 17 Jun 2007
Posts: 781
Location: Södertälje

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefan wrote:
how much stiffer should ami/acadiane springs be?
Strongly depends on the ami springs you choose,
I have acadyane springs and based on a calculation the front one is about 50% stiffer than 2cv front spring. Rear acadyane springs however are much softer, but on a acadyane this is compensated by the knifeedges on the rear arms which pull more effectively on the springs.
I also have early ami6/ak350 springs, they are much harder compared to 2cv springs from that time, but about equal to late 2cv springs.
If you want to use mi springs, I suggest you try to find ami8 or late AK400 ones, I don't have all their data, but I think they are the stiffest of all big springs (not considering amisuper).

Good luck, Bart
_________________
I like to play Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Wout
Dropped


Joined: 16 Sep 2008
Posts: 368
Location: Arendonk, Belgium

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dieselflosse wrote:


Is this some 2cv specific thing or universal? The cutting of springs was very used trick old days before tuning springs game to the market... But, I haven't heard that used in 2cv... I can't se any reason why it doesn't work similar way in 2cv than the other cars.

Of cause it might spoil the driving...


It's universal.
And I think that's why people made some aftermarket stuff Cool
Adjusting anything on any car has his consequenses.

Greetings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
maximus
Snailer


Joined: 06 Apr 2014
Posts: 78
Location: England

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this car still running? I know I keep asking this about most channeled 2CVs . Embarassed How much has this 2CV been channeled?
_________________
Max Wyer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SNAIL Forum Index -> Your ride All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by phpBB.BizHat.com